USC’s PUBLIC HEALTH CAREER FAIR 2018
On behalf of the USC Preventive Medicine department, we are excited to announce that we’ll be hosting the inaugural Public Health Career Fair. We’re bringing together more than 50 employers to network with USC alumni and students. If you would like to attend, please register by March 16th, 2018.
When: Friday, March 23rd, 2018 from 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Where: 2001 Soto Street, Patio Area
Event Cost: FREE
Parking San Pablo Structure (SPS), 1630 San Pablo, Los Angeles, CA 90033.
What to expect:
You’ll be meeting face-to-face with potential MPH employers, many of whom have several openings and are eager to meet nnew talent. Dress professionally, bring plenty of resumes, and rehearse your elevator pitch because you’ll be meeting directly with hiring managers. You can save time, money and effort by interviewing and networking with multiple employers in one day – at one location.
What are you waiting for?
Jumpstart your career by letting us know that you’re coming and register today!
What to Wear
- Business suit in a conservative color (navy, gray, or black are preferred)
- For men: dress shirt and tie
- For women: neckline should be no lower than collarbone; skirt hem should be no more than two inches above the knee
- Clothes should be clean and pressed
- Shoes: for men – wingtips or loafers with dark socks; for women – low/medium heels or flats. Be comfortable; you will be standing for 4 hours!
- Video for Women: https://youtu.be/opty_8NxPpE
- Video for Men: https://youtu.be/LUoL9sRCPlY
What to Bring
- Copies of your resume
- Your elevator pitch (link: https://www.candidcareer.com/video-elevator+pitch,ed5fdd900a274930252f,USC)
- Your Plan of Attack (see below)
Create a Plan of Attack
- REGISTER HERE (Link: https://phcareerfairusc.eventbrite.com) and Register and see a list of employers who will be attending.
- Employer tables will be organized along the Soto Building Patio.
- Make a list of organizations that you’re interested in and research them. Visit their websites, learn the latest news on them, prepare questions about them, and take note of what positions that they are looking to fill. Your preparation will become evident in your interaction with company representatives and you’ll stand out from others.
- Take a break from the fair to get a free professional headshot, which you could use on your social media profile
- Photo booth hours are from 2:00pm to 4:00pm. The last photo will be taken at 4:00pm.
- Photos will be emailed within 14 days
Preparing for the Career Fair
In these videos, we share how you can maximize your time and experience at (and leading up to) the event. For more videos on other subjects, visit the Videos Workshop section.
The career fair is our biggest recruiting event, with more than 50 employers participating each year! In these videos, we share how you can maximize your time and experience at (and leading up to) the event.
- Learn how you can maximize your time and experience at and leading up to the career fair. Guest speakers: Ragy Saad, MS, Doctor Evidence and Carol Barahona, MPH, MSW, CHES, American Heart Association, Western Affiliates. (http://uscmphonline.adobeconnect.com/p80ejfmct8u5/)
- Learn how to prepare for the career fair, what to wear/bring, how to craft and deliver your elevator pitch, as well as what questions to anticipate from employers. https://www.candidcareer.com/video-career+fairs,2ef35050ca72743ae6ca,USC
- Get suggestions on how to converse with recruiters vs. hiring managers, what information you should seek from them, how virtual career fairs work, and general career fair do’s and don’ts. https://youtu.be/W3TtRUxu9GA
- Get an overview of what organizations do and what you should do following the career fair, and get a summary of key tips and advice to make your experience before, during and after the career fair rewarding and effective. https://www.candidcareer.com/video-career+fair+advice,4208b2677a084f5d7456,USC