How to prepare for a career fair
Whether it’s in person or virtual, there are certain best practices to keep in mind when preparing to attend a career fair.
What to Wear
- Business suit in a conservative color (navy, gray, or black are preferred)
- Clothes clean and pressed
- Clothes: Dress shirt and tie
- Shoes: Wing tips or loafers with dark socks
- Clothes: Neckline no lower than collarbone; skirt hem should be no more than two inches above the knee
- Shoes: low/medium heels or flats. Comfort is key — you will likely be standing for 4 hours!
What to Bring
Create a Plan of Attack
● Register to see a list of employers who will be attending.
● Make a list of organizations that you’re interested in and research them. Visit their web sites, learn the latest news on them, prepare questions about them, and take note of what positions they are looking to fill. Your preparation will become evident in your interaction with company representatives and you’ll stand out from the pack.
Preparing for the Career Fair
In these videos, we share how you can maximize your time and experience at (and leading up to) the event. For more videos on other subjects visit the Videos Workshops section.
The Career Fair is our biggest recruiting event, with public health employers participating each year! In these videos, we share how you can maximize your time and experience at (and leading up to) the event.
Get suggestions on how to converse with recruiters vs. hiring managers, what information you should seek from them, how virtual career fairs work, and general career fair do’s and dont’s.
International Students: Speaking at a Career Fair